Cars and trucks halted on the street, pedestrians frozen mid-stride, the birds, so constantly chattering, silenced in anticipation of what was about to happen... "Leukemia", David said, his head already buried in my shoulder. "They think it’s leukemia..." and suddenly without warning our world collapsed. Buildings imploded into heaps of brick and drywall and the sky, once so blue and full of hope, hit the ground with such force that it shattered into a billion little pieces.
Sunday, June 15, 2008
words about nothing, from a time when everything was ordinary
I sit down quickly, like I've stolen something and am attemping to hide. The ferry is full, I'm happy to have a seat. There's a man one row ahead of me. He glances at me, holding his gaze for just a moment beyond my comfort level and then turns back to his wife. I open my book, spread out my bag onto the seat beside me and officially claim this spot. It's not stolen, it's mine. I fumble a bit to make my ipod play as I silently curse it's popularity, slighly regretful to have bought into the commercialism of it all. I watch people pass. A thin man munching on cheesies. Two girls, young maybe 15, uncomfotable in their own skin, trying to appear older than they should. A man with a handlebar moustache the ends curled precisely into a curious grin. The man in front of me leans over and kisses his wife. I'm not even close to impressed, my seat too close, I am trapped helplessly in their moment. Which, in my opinion lasts too long. Beyond a moment, barreling towards being uneccessarily annoying. I stare at the ground for a long time and then focus my gaze on the passing scenery. My mind wanders. I have to pee, I might lose my seat. I make a made dash to the bathroom. In my rush, I of course, end up in the stall with no toilet paper. I curse under my breath, pull my pants up enough to shuffle and make a quick decision to exit my stall in hope to enter the next. My execution is flawless. Disaster averted. I return to my seat, my book and bag appear unscathed. I sit back down and try to ignore the guy in front of me. I have M+M's. The peanut ones. I open them and pour out a handful. 5 orange, two blue and a brown. I eat them too fast. The bag quickly empty. Out of the corner of my eye I see an elderly lady dressed in white. White everything, except for a pair of rediculous blue sunglasses. It's not sunny. I start to choke, but recover quickly, no one notices. There is nothing unique about my life. I glance down at the sleeve of my overpriced ski jacket disappointed to notice for the first time a small hole wearing though the cuff. Nothing lasts anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment