Friday, January 30, 2009

*update* still alive

Hi guys,

I’m super way behind on this update. So, first things first... David’s alive! and, the good news is that he’s slowly starting to feel better.  We’re still not sure about his long term prognosis, but right now I’m just happy he’s started to eat again, and I heard him swear in French this morning, so that’s always a good sign (and funny).

 So, I’m sure there’s still a bit of uncertainty about what exactly is wrong with David, some of you may of heard a partial update – I’ll try to explain it, although I’m not sure I totally understand it myself. Although David presented with symptoms that matched both leukemia and lymphoma, bone and lymph node biopsies came back negative and doctors are fairly certain David has a very rare and serious blood disorder call hypereosinophilic syndrome (about 100 reported cases).




Trying hard to smile.
 A bit of info of hypreosinophilic syndrome, if you are interested. Basically the doctors think that there has been a translocation of one or more of David's chromosomes (13/14 and/or 14/15). This translocation is thought to have occurred randomly, without known source. In David's body this translocation is causing white blood cells to multiply out of control in his bone marrow. I understand that white blood cells usually help fight infection in the body but in David's case this proliferation of cells is attacking his immune system, affecting his lymph nodes, liver, spleen, blood and bones. The doctors are working closely with the Cancer Agency to map David's genes and are performing an array of molecular tests (FISH tests?) to try to gain more info. We don't expect to have any new news for some time, and are hoping that the somewhat experimental drug regime the doctors have started may help David feel better, but only time will tell. Again, we’d like to stress how impressed and confident we are with the medical team at VGH.  
 
Want out. But settled for 20 minutes outside.

Right now David needs to work on putting a bit of weight back on, he’s lost a bunch since he got here. He figures his crash diet entitles him to a free trip to Mexico based on a bet I had with him that he couldn’t lose 10 pounds... After what we’ve been though, I figure he should take me to Mexico, but whatever. I think we’d both be happy if he was allowed to leave the hospital.

If you’d like to visit, bring it on. If possible, give us a call first – 604-875-5400 ext.  60636 which is direct to David. If you can’t call, forgot to call, hate the phone. Just stop by. If it’s not a good time, we’ll just send you away. Don’t worry, it’s not because we don’t like you.

And, also, thanks to EVERYONE that has provided support, food, accomodation, smiles, hugs, emails, all that good stuff. Would be a hell of a lot harder to get through this without you guys.

Lots of love,
Cindy and David

No comments:

Post a Comment